"Life is far too important a thing to ever talk seriously about." -Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My last day as a teenager!

So its been three weeks. No way. Also, my birthday is tomorrow (yay)- and today is Duncan's birthday and yesterday was Wala's (Patricia's boyfriend) birthday and Thursday is Ghanaian Independence day! Busy week!!

On Saturday we went to Coco Beach- so much nicer than Labadi- it was nice to swim the big waves and just read and hang out. There were less people trying to sell you stuff here but more rastas who all want to be your friend. It was a really nice day. At night, a big group of us went into Osu to get Indian food! So delicious and such a treat. It was a really really fun day.

On Sunday, Jenna and I were feeling antsy so we decided to go to Osu during the daytime- something we hadn't done- and we got smoothies! Yum! and we walked around the street vendors and looked at shirts and jerseys. We went to Koala the food store- packed with Lebanese food (Maria- I was in heaven!!) and then we came back to just hang out and relax. I feel like I do a lot of hanging out and relaxing here- so Ghanaian of me.

Monday, I had two classes- Groups, Organizations and the Individual- a huge class but it seems interesting and easy to follow, and Poverty and Rural Development- interesting but my teacher is old and talks quickly, quietly, and with a thick accent so that was mildly frustrating. We're going to have tutorials that meet outside of class so that's going to be a good place to go over notes and stuff again. We went to Bush Canteen for dinner and drinks last night- it was nice to just sit outside and talk- a big group of us went so that was fun.

Today, I went to visit Danielle to talk about her website which I'm going to help her with. We ended up sitting and talking with her contractor, Daniel's brother, about the project and the problems with it. Then, we had lunch (yum) and then looked through the website and pictures to try to get an idea of what we should do. It was a nice way to spend the afternoon considering I don't have any classes today. I'll probably do it every week to help her out as well as visit the other sites and keep learning about Fearless Planet.

I'm sorry this hasn't been full of cultural things yet- I'm still taking it all in. The people are really nice and they move pretty slow. You're not supposed to be late, its rude, but everyone is always late so its slightly confusing. I fit in perfectly considering I'm never on time anyways. With Danielle's projects she's been having a lot of trouble working with the farmers, women, and artists because they don't grasp the concept of working for something, like towards a greater goal. People here live day to day so if they don't like something, they quit! Or if they don't see automatic results, they give up. It hard and frustrating because she's trying to help them get more profit or create better products but if they don't feel like working then they just don't! Its so interesting to watch and learn from. She has some good contacts too, like a woman in Ho who works with teen pregnancy, and a woman in Tamale who is a lawyer from the UK, so I'm looking forward to meeting them when I travel more.

This weekend we might go to Kumasi, to the wildlife reserve and the cultural center. We'll see how that goes!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ave, love your comments on your day. We were just wondering if there was a wildlife preserve in Ghana and now you are going to one. Will look forward to the pictures. Hope you got our email card and other birthday cards. Anyway a very happy birthday. Love and kisses. G & G

Joan Temple said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! We have been thoroughly enjoying your posts. Have a terrific day! ~Jenna's mom and dad

Anonymous said...

Ave,
Happy Birthday To You!!! What an incredible journey you are on! Take it all in. Such a great opportunity! The Godla's will be toasting you tonight.
Love ya,
Jean