"Life is far too important a thing to ever talk seriously about." -Oscar Wilde

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"happiness=reality/expectation" -Jenna

I just thought you'd like to know that everyone really likes my neon yellow sunglasses- I got a mixed reaction at home but in Ghana, they're pretty cool. I even got a "you look special." Ha!

In other more important news, I got my ROOMMATE!! Her name is Patricia and she's SO nice. She lives in Accra and wants to take me to meet her family! I can't wait. She also has a boyfriend, his name is Terence AKA Wala- he's funny any very friendly. She showed up on the 17th in the evening. In our first bonding convo she told me that her roommate last semester was from Tufts, and Jew. Jenna laughed, I froze. Then the next day church came up and she asked me about my religion. I told her I was Jewish and she told me she was a Pentecostal-and she said she would take me to church. I tried to play it off, I reallllly didn't want to get lectured, but I think we're ok. Today, some of her friends came over and she fed me plantains with palava sauce (a stewed mix of spices and some type of leafy vegetable) and me and Jenna made them PB & J's!!! They couldn't remember what it was called and kept saying "peanut butter and jellllll on bread" haha!! But they liked it a lot, kept asking for more, and even went to get us juice to drink. It was really fun!

Yesterday classes started- only one of my two lecturers showed up- but thats ok. Apparently that is to be expected for at least another week. In one of my classes, I was the only obruni but in the other it was like half and I met a bunch of cool UC kids who I went to lunch with. We also tried to do my dreads but I brushed them right now- I hate my hair!!

Today, my lecturer didn't show again, and Jenna and I went with our friend Tell and a Ghanaian named Ato to Accra to find some cool stuff! We explored for a looong time- there was a lot of traffic since George Bush is here- I can't get away from the man.. But we went to one market where we met some Rastas who had a drum hut where they made drums and we played with them!!!!!!! It was SO cool!!! They were super nice- Apparently the Rastas here at sketchy but it was daytime so I felt ok. I'm excited for my drum class tomorrow also.

In sad news, our friend Erin decided to go home and her flight left today. She was very homesick and wasn't getting the support she needed so she felt it was best to go. Luckily the University said she can come back in two weeks at no charge, and even get a single room, so we all have our fingers crossed.

Jenna and I are working on our trip to Cape Coast and Kukum National Park for the canopy walk this weekend. Our friend Duncan is going to come too. We're so excited-- sooo excited.

New words!
Me paucho -I'm sorry (I need to say that alot! haha)
Me do wo- I love you (I think- Wala and his friends were trying to teach me and Jenna words but I think they just wanted to make us say dirty phrases like you do in middle school- haha)

I'll let you know how my rhythm is tomorrow after drum class :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey!! I love your blog! Its ridiculous and it sounds like worlds craziest and amazing adventure ever. I miss you though! Sounds like the experience of a life time and I hope you're having a blast! Stay safe and I can't wait to read the next ones!

Love, Katie Bosteel

^^^ (i've never commented on a blog before so I didn't know if it'd show who wrote it haha)

Anonymous said...

We love reading your blog. Makes us feel connected. Love G & G

Barbara Kivowitz said...

Love your blog! You are having adventures - even if it's about hair cuts and pineapple! I am visiting your family in DC right now - glad you're there but wish you were here.

Your Mom,who is sitting by my side, says a big "Hi."

Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

haha bush really did follow you there! unbelievable. your adventures are sounding very exciting, and i hope you're adjusting well. i can actually picture you eating those coconuts as you describe them and they sound delicious! make sure you keep taking pictures; i am excited to see how your dreads turn out :) take it easy av, my family sends their love! <3

Anonymous said...

your literally the coolest person I know at this point in time. Honestly I'm so jealous and your literally making me rethink Spain instead of Africa. But, I'm sure I'll make my way out there at some point in my life. I love you mucho and cannot wait to see some dreds on yo heds...haha

eat a plantain for me

peace and love.

Colin

Anonymous said...

Hey Avra,
We love reading about your adventures..."Live vicariously" I always say!! I love your adventurous spirit as well as your practicality...a great combination for a world traveler.
Sorry about George W. Unfortunately, he really just won't go away...I hope you keep enjoying every minute of your time in Ghana; we're certainly enjoying every word you write!
Love, Daphne, Glenn and 'the boys'

Anonymous said...

dread your hair.
also I miss you

-Ruth