(PS check out the pics!! me and Jenna are both putting ours on my webshots)
Whoa- I can't believe we've been here for a week!! It's awesome. Today we went to Labadi Beach- so beautiful!! We could walk out sooo far but the waves were kinda rough. Tons of people were everywhere trying to sell you stuff like crafts and CDs or to paint your nails and everything was a rip off- I wanted to buy a towel that looked like the Ghanaian flag- he wanted $10 - I was like no way Jose. But anyways, we were out there alllll day- we got a big group together- we finally have a group of friends which is so nice! I got a little burned (to be expected) and taking doxy (the antibiotic for malaria) doesn't help my sun tolerance either. I'm sorta sick of people trying to rip us off cause we're white so they assume we don't know anything. But I'm like, no I'm not an idiot I know that it doesn't cost $8 to take a taxi to campus- it should only be like $1.50. I don't feel bad about bargaining anymore either so thats good.
Yesterday Michelle, Ivy, and Megan went to Medina in the morning so me and Jenna made banana and PB sandwiches (best idea ever), did some laundry, sent some emails, the usual- then when the girls got back we went into Accra to the market- bought some cool stuff, explored, came back- ate some omo tuo (rice balls) with freshly fried chicken - best best best chicken ever. At night, we got the group together and back to bonjour! Apparently Saturday nights aren't big here because everyone goes to church on Sunday- cute I guess but bad for us!
We've been meeting some awesome kids- I really like all of them- Some are from like Michigan and Pennsylvania and Connecticut and Maryland - Bethesda- and he guessed I was a McLean girl which cracked me up. Its nice to finally have more than 4 friends! haha
The people here are so nice - everyone's so helpful. Even the beggars and the hagglers will leave you alone when you say no. Would that ever happen in America? haha
I decided I was going to dreadlock my hair- I'll let you know how that progresses. As of right now, its just very dirty- but then again you get out of the cold shower, start sweating, put on bug spray, walk outside, and are already disgustingly sticky and dirty. Its old news by now.
We've been learning some more phrases:
Ete sen? (How are you?) response: Eye (good) (because people here are always good!!)
Medasi (thank you)
Medasi pa (thank you very much)
Medasi papapapapapapa (thank you very very very much)
my Ghanaian name is Ama because I was born on a Saturday.
I guess thats all for now! Hope all is well!
"Life is far too important a thing to ever talk seriously about." -Oscar Wilde
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
hey Av, I just want to know if you ate that fish? Or did you trade it for a towel that looked like the national flag? haha Love your blog. Glad you're learning to say, like Amy Winehouse, NO, NO, NO... love, Tom Davey
OH MY GOD YOU'RE IN F*ING GHANA.
Sounds so crazy and amazing.
Good job being prepared for people trying to rip you off - who wanted that stupid towel anyways?
miss you so much already
R
ps I feel like I'm reading eat pray love #2 - only less cheesy
Av, Sound like you are acclimating to the Ghanian way of life. WOW, what adventures you are having. We read daily to keep up with you. Use those of sunscreen even if it is goowy. Love Grandma and Grandpa
Post a Comment