"Life is far too important a thing to ever talk seriously about." -Oscar Wilde

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Not as exciting as elephants- I won't lie...

And obviously this entry is about food: So this week has been a slow once since we got back. On Monday Jenna and I went to Medina market to get a blender, some new pots cause ours got stolen out of the kitchen (I'm all about communal supplies and sharing but that means you bring it back- duh.), and I wanted veggies! We got our blender to make smoothies and milkshakes and our pots, even some tupperware, and I got SO much produce! I got okra, green beans, lettuce, carrots, onions, garlic, garden egg (like eggplant but white), cucumbers, green peppers, little red hot peppers- oh man I went to town. When we got back we just hung out but then Jesse and I started cooking. She made some yummy eggplant and broccoli (aka flowers I swear they were just like buds) to go with her nice bread and expensive cheese that we devoured and I cooked up some okra with onion and garlic (yum) and cooked the garden eggs and turned them into a little stew-ish tomato-based mix with the green pepper, onion, and HOT pepper- oh man I didn't realize they were SO spicy until I threw in two of them- oops! It worked out well and I was very proud of myself. I'm just sick of not eating veggies so I decided to take matters into my own hands.. After dinner, Jenna and I obviously wanted to try out our blender but none of the stores with fanice were open so we walked like probably 15 minutes to find a store that was open with ice cream which we put in our blender with richoco (sorta like ovaltine), soymilk, and groundnutbutter for the BEST milk shake in the world- literally heaven. We hoarded it and only gave Jesse a little sip cause she shared her awesome bread and cheese with us earlier. Haha- so out of my character to not share but hey, it was ice cream.

On Tuesday, one of my many free days, I just hung out, went to a tutorial for my social work 204 class which is so hard because I'm the only obruni and it's a requirement for the major so all of the kids in the program are in it and they are all friends and know each other and I know no one and no one has been very helpful and its been sorta stressful and I went to tutorial (like smaller class setting with the TA only) and I was so lost and frustrated and so far behind. We even have a project due in the class but its a group project and I'm not in a group and even if I was I couldn't contact anyone in my class cause there's no phone numbers or list or anything so pretty much I was feeling very lost and confused and frustrated which I decided wasn't worth it so I went to Dennis and he helped me drop it even though its wayyy past the deadline. It took so much weight off my shoulders and I feel so much better. I don't need stress here- its not worth it. And after that Jenna and I made smoothies and salad for lunch so that was nice and Patricia made me plantains and palava sauce for dinner so I had good meals all day! That night we just ran around and talked with everyone- since last weekend so many people went away it was like being back at school after vacation where everyone is buzzing with excitement and stories and just wants to talk! It was such a nice, homey, community feeling- it put me in a great mood!

Today I went to my one lecture and then to drumming class. It started to rain and our class is outside under the trees so we got let out early. Tonight some people are going to this poetry open-mic night and I might do that or I might just hang out and keep relaxing. No plans for this weekend so far- just hanging out, going into Accra maybe? going out for dinner? Just saving money and relaxing. Sounds good to me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To chill or not to chill that is the question! Enjoy your down time and keep on cookin'. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Av, you are going to write a Ghana cookbook to hand out to other students who go to Ghana. All it :Ghana how to?? You have learned a whole new way of eating. love Grandma