No joke. And that isn't a metaphor..
So yesterday I went to class like a good student, I was sitting there at 9 am, nice and early (another new habit I picked up- being on time, if not early- let's see if this one stays back in the USA..). I was just hanging out, talking to my friend Phish (more like he was talking to me because he was being very philosophical and I am not so social or intelligent first thing in the morning..) waiting for the lecture to start. It finally began, we sat there, took notes, same old same old, when all of a sudden everyone started getting restless and loud and looking outside. The sky had turned like practically pitch black and the wind started picking up. All of a sudden the clouds opened and buckets and buckets of water were POURING down! All of the students who were sitting outside cause the venue is too full came running in and doors were slamming and everyone was making noise and it was sorta funny. So after it rained for like twenty minutes non-stop, the lecture was over. My friend Phish drove me to my next class which was alllll the way across campus so he saved me from alot of water. My second class was boring and so cold I'm surprised I didn't fall right asleep. After that I headed to the sociology department to hand in my first assignment! whoo hoo - and thats when the excitement began. As I was waiting to turn it in I saw my friend/Ato's roommate Ben and we were talking about his research proposal. The guy sitting next to me was also waiting to turn in his paper so I introduced myself and we started talking. When I told him my name he asked me if it was a Ghanaian name (weird- um you're Ghanaian so shouldn't you know? is what I was thinking..) but instead I said no, its actually Hebrew. He goes "oh. wow. so you're a Jew?" and I was like "yes, yes I am." This guy was SO happy that I was Jewish it was awesome. He was like "wow. thats so great. you're a Jew. Wow. Wow. You're so close to G-d." I was pretty much dying at the point of happiness and from trying not to burst out laughing- I was just happy he was in love wiht me rather than trying to convert/kill me. It was awesome. I think he said "wow you're a Jew, I love Jews" like probably 8 or 9 times. What a great response! Ha. Monday night- went to this cool place called "The Living Room" where you chose a movie and they project it on a screen for you- it was free on Monday nights from like 5 to 9 so we took advantage and watched Atonement. It was good but not half as good as the book!!
Today, I went with Danielle to the fruit/pepper drying facility in Ningo, like 45 minutes east of Accra. The facility used to be an old ORT training facility for this mother-child teacher program but its been renovated to fit Fearless Planet's needs. There wasn't much going on there because the organic certification was taking place so the site and the farms had to be checked out so there was no fruit being dryed. It was interesting to see and by sitting in on their conversations I got a much better picture of the site so I can work on the website. After that we came back to Accra and she took me to Josie's/Cuppa Cappachino for AWESOME salads and smoothies. It was the best lunch ever. She takes such good care of me I think I owe Danielle my life. Then we picked Ryan up from school and I got dropped at 37 to tro-tro back to campus. On my tro-tro ride home, the only seat left was in the very very back with these three guys who were already there. I was like ok great. I sit down and the guy to my right has his arm across the back of my seat- so sweaty gross- and the guy to my left proceeds to try to talk to me while mumbling and speaking so quietly it was hopeless. Finally it came down to can I have your number and I just said no, no thanks. He left me alone but then like two minutes later I felt like weight on me and I was like cool, keep touching me, awesome. I looked over and he was ASLEEP and DROOLING all over himself. I think that might have been the best like pick-up attempt known to man. Haha. Two seconds after getting shut down, just start sleeping and drooling. Good work tro-tro man. So since I got back I've just been hanging out, reading and relaxing- I skyped with William who scared me by telling me he got two staples put in his head due to a basketball accident- but he's alive and can still talk so its ok. haha just kidding he's totally fine but I was a little scared.
Tomorrow- class as usual, hanging out, maybe the pool on Thursday? Patricia's house this weekend!! More later! Sorry for these boring entries- I'm trying to save some money right now cause Mole cleaned me out.
"Life is far too important a thing to ever talk seriously about." -Oscar Wilde
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Avra,
Do you honestly think your blog entries are boring?!?! I LOVE reading about everything you're doing or not doing. I literally laughed out loud at the picture you painted of a sleeping, drooling make-out man in the back of the bus. Just great....!
Keep on writing,
Love,
Daphne
Post a Comment