"Life is far too important a thing to ever talk seriously about." -Oscar Wilde

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Slow slow weekend! I apologize in advance haha

This has been a slow slow weekend! Since the package incident I have pretty much done a lot of reading, hanging out, and eating (as usual)...

On Thursday night I had Fanti kenkey with Ato - kenkey is fermented cornmeal-ish dough ball. When its wrapped in a corn husk, thats Ga kenkay, that the people of Ga ethnicity eat-I've had this one many times. If its wrapped in a banana leaf then its Fanti kenkey, a different ethnic group, which I had never had before. Ato is a Fanti so he said I should try it with him and his roommate Ben. It was delicious- we had it with shito (the spicy fish sauce) and sausage and sardines and kabob- quite a feast- with pineapple for desert and popcorn kernels like half popped (E- you woulda loved it!!) Then Duncan, Kristin and I watched that new movie Jumper- not so good, not so bad- glad I didn't pay for it.

On Friday, I just hung around again- did a lot of reading. I've gone through Into The Wild, Wide Sargasso Seas, and Atonement and now I'm onto Angela's Ashes. I think after I'm done I might borrow some of Duncan's Kurt Vonnegut books for a while. If anyone has any book suggestions send them over to Mimi and maybe she'll bring me some more books for my little library. On Friday night we went into Osu to get some Lebanese food- not the best I've ever had and no where near the food from the Saab household but I think it'll hold me over for a while- I got my fix. Then we came back and Tell, Duncan, Jenna, Kristin, Jesse, Sarah, and I watched 300. It's like a thousand times funnier the second time around- we enjoyed it.

Saturday, Tell and I went to talk to the King of Dreadlocks to interview him so we can begin to make his website. He put one dread in my hair and I've been thinking long and hard about how I feel about it. I think since I'm always so flippant about my hair I was like sure, ok why not! Dreads, that'd be cool. But I think dreads are for people who don't like their hair so much and me and my hair, we have a pretty good relationship- I'm not ready to make such a long-term commitment to a hairstyle. That's too much for me. I slept on it and luckily today I combed the one he made right out haha- classic Avra hair moment- just comb out a rats nest in like two minutes. But Tell is going to get them so I'm going to help him with the website anyways.

Today I did my first homework assignment, just in case you forgot I was actually here for school cause I know I did. Jenna went to Ato's house yesterday and had a great time so we talked about that for a while today and Ato is going to take me and Duncan and Tell in the next few weeks cause we couldn't make it yesterday. I'm also going home with Patricia one of these days and she's going to teach me to cook and I'm pumped. Also, my mom is coming in like officially 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah!!! So excited!! This week- going to Ningo with Danielle to see the fruit drying site- and we'll see what other shenanigans we get into.. keep you updated!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was great to talk to you tonight. Myra says hi and we are going to teach her how to use the blog. Love you Grandma