"Life is far too important a thing to ever talk seriously about." -Oscar Wilde

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Last week of classes!!

So I finished my big bottle of doxy pills on Sunday.. thats 90.. aka 3 months. weird. One month left.. I'm exhausted and ready to head home but I'm going to miss it here and I don't really want to leave. If my friends and family were here I probably wouldn't be so antsy but they're not so I'm getting antsy..

Monday, Jenna and I tried to get past exam questions but it was a lost cause again.. so we headed to Makola Market in downtown Accra to get some fabric cause I came up with some dresses to get made for like $5 each- I got some really nice stuff. Jenna tried trading some of her soccer jerseys from home for jerseys on the street but no on was having it. Lame. Then we headed to the Cultural Center (again) to get some kente and other good stuff- we went to the same lady me and mom bought from so she gave us a good deal and Jenna bought a ton! I got a few more tee-shirts for gifts buying them from the same guy I had bought from before but he tried to charge me like $38 for three shirts as opposed to the $4 per shirt I had paid originally- but I fought him hard and got back to my old price of $4 per shirt- he told me I fought hard and I told him that prices don't rise like that in 7 days- ha. As we were leaving, this man holding masks started following us/harassing us to buy a mask- we went to cross the street and he was like "ok ok I'll escort the ladies across the road" and ran with us. When we got to the other side I was like hey, wanna dash me a mask? (Dashing is a custom where you give someone something for free- like if you buy 4 bananas for 20 cents, sometimes they'll dash you a fifth just to be nice). The rasta was like yea sure! but I figured there was a catch. All of a sudden this idea hit me- I turned to him and said "want a jersey?" he was like yea!! So we traded him one of Jenna's jersey for a mask! SO funny. ALSO at the craft fair I swear to the lord above or whoever you wanna swear to that I saw a Marley child at the craft fair. I was like hey Jenna, doesn't that guy look like Bob Marley? but she didn't look. but he did. And apparently, after Bob died, Mrs. Marley moved the ENTIRE family, grandkids and all, to Ghana and they have a big house outside of Accra. So I'm pretty sure I saw one of the kids. COOL!

Tuesday I went to Danielle's- helped to rearrange furnature for a while and then I worked on the last webpage re-write. When I was done, Danielle, Daniel and I went to the Golden Tulip, one of the nicest hotels in Ghana, to meet Mike for lunch and use the internet. The food was bad but the company was good and then I tro-troed home. Duncan Tell and I watched American Gangster but the DVD was scratched so we couldn't watch the last two chapters!! How frustrating!! I guess I'll have to rent it or hope it's been out long enough to be on HBO or something..

Today, last lechture!! Weird. It went fine. And then off to drumming to be told that we had to learn the end to the other song and work on the new song blah blah blah and he showed up 30 minutes late and kept us 30 minutes late- aka we have to know all of this new music by Wednesday but I'm just pretending its not happening..

Tomorrow Duncan Tell and I are leaving to go to Green Turtle Lodge, apparently one of the nicest/coolest/awesome/eco-friendly hotels/lodges/beach whatevers around. I'm excited. It will be a good way to relax and study, get into the groove. I'm really really really glad to be going.

Other facts:

-I hide $5 from myself in my journal and every time I flip past the page where the money is I get excited. Every single time.
-I love dashing- we should start that in America
-Jenna likes to be big spoon, I like to be little spoon- we've been wasting so much time not spooning- this discovery came about when we passed out on her bed the other night haha
-My first real exam is a week from Saturday
-I'm tired
-Home in a month. Weird.
-LOVE YOU!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Av, Cannot believe you are coming home soon. Soak up all of the sun and the fun and the studying you can. We miss and love you and are so very proud of you. Love, mom

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Last week of classes!!!! What's up with that? I guess you'll have to use all that extra time to study extra hard for those final exams...(:-) smile.

I am glad you, Jenna and your other friends are making the most of your sprint to the finish for your most excellent and amazing adventures. Can't wait to see you and hear even more stories and details. Stay well, keep smiling, keep dashin' with care. We love you and will see you soon!

Love, Daddy O